1.05 +/- ACRE PARCEL WITH 265+/- FEET OF PORTAGE LAKE FRONTAGE FOR SALE! This waterfront parcel is located on Torch Bay, on the Keweenaw Peninsula, which juts out into Lake Superior from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The property is located on the south-eastern side of a kidney-shaped peninsula accessible through the village of Dollar Bay. Portage and Torch lakes wrap around it, defining its boundaries. This land mass is covered in new growth maple and birch forest, with some larger pines scattered through the area. To the north is the 2,700 Acre, 6-Mile long, 125-Foot deep Torch Lake. Torch Bay wraps around the eastern side of the peninsula, and connects Torch Lake with Portage Lake. Portage Lake has a surface area of 9,640 Acres, and a maximum depth of 50-Feet. Portage is connected to the portage built by the army corps of engineers to create a short cut for marine traffic between Lake Superior on the western side of the Keweenaw Peninsula, to the Lake Superior Keweenaw Bay on its eastern side. This 22-mile waterway was completed in 1874 and allowed expansion of copper mining through shipping. Today The Portage-Torch Lake Chain, (also known as the Keweenaw Waterway) system of lakes and channels of just over 13,200 acres and still provides for shipping, and ever growing tourism
opportunities! Anglers reel in 37 different species including walleye, pike, perch, bass (large and smallmouth), four kinds of suckers, eight kinds of minnows, two kinds of bullhead, two kinds of whitefish, two kinds of lamprey, brown, brook, and rainbow trout, Coho salmon, rock bass, sunfish, bluegill, crappie, burbot, carp, smelt, alewife, ruffe, and lake sturgeon. Sightings of sail boats, canoes, kayaks, and
other water craft are common in the summer, and in the winter this system provides some excellent snowmobiling. The shoreline of this bay is lined by the quaint unincorporated settlements of Dreamland, Point Mills and Senter - and in some areas the wooded hills along this bay soar as high as 200 feet in height. These little towns are full of history! By the 1880s French Canadian lumberjacks were working
the native forests of the peninsula from a small settlement (Montreal) east of present-day Dollar Bay. The area became linked to the region’s mining industry at the turn of the century when two mining companies established stamp mills on Grosse Point, on Torch Bay, at the southwestern-most area of the peninsula. Ore was shipped to both mills via a spur line of a railroad. An overland road provided access to a hillside site called Point Mills. Here dwellings were provided for workers and families. This village grew to contain several stores, two saloons, a hotel, livery, post office, and a school. Today the unincorporated village of Point Mills has approximately a dozen homes. Southeast of the village, the Arcadian and Centennial Mill encompasses a vast area. It began operation in 1899 and shut down
in 1920. At one time the Copper Range Railroad provided service into the area, and provided access to the small industrial village of Senter. The Atlas Powder Company opened a company there in 1910, where explosives were created and stored. The tracks were removed and many company buildings were demolished in 1960. Five houses now exist on Senter Location Road, the only road in the village. Today Senter Road leads to new shoreline recreational properties built in the post-World War II period in a subdivision along East and North Grosse Pointe Shores. The property that is being offered for sale is part of a surveyed lot located in this subdivision, and has 193+/- Feet of Frontage on Portage Lake. The property is fully wooded with Spruce and Cedar trees, and has very gradual slope to the shoreline. There is power and telephone available at the road side. If you are seeking a waterfront parcel in a very historic area contact us for a Private Tour today!
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. Buyer to verify all information
E Grosse Pointe Shores Rd, Torch Lake Township, Houghton County, Michigan, United States